About Everest Base Camp Helicopter Tour
Mount Everest is the highest peak in the world. Trekking to Everest base campis a dream of many trekkers from around the world. But Everest base camp trek isn’t easy. It requires a lot of time, money, strong determination, and a certain level of physical fitness.
But there are some people who are short on time. Also, there are some who aren’t able to go to Everest base camp by walking due to some physical as well as medical conditions. And there are few others who are seeking a luxurious way of reaching the Everest base camp.
That’s why High Camp Adventure has designed an Everest Base Camp Helicopter Tour. The Everest base camp flight landing helicopter tour is especially for those who want to visit the Everest base camp in a very short span of time.
The mountain helicopter flight to Everest rewards you with the bird’s eye views of the green valleys, splashing rivers, hills, and variable landscapes. You can witness the splendid wonders of nature and culture during this short tour. You will see the most captivating scenery of the lining Himalayas including Everest.
Starting from Kathmandu, you will see the aerial views of the valley itself. You will also see the different UNESCO World Heritage sites like Kathmandu Durbar Square, Boudhanath Stupa, Pashupatinath Temple, Bhaktapur Durbar Square, and Changu Narayan temple.
You will also see the close-up views of the hills and alpine forests as you approach towards the higher altitudes. You will land at various places on the tour. The helicopter lands at Kalapathar. Kalapathar is the best vantage point of Mount Everest. From here, you will see the closest and gorgeous views of the Khumbu glacier and Khumbu icefall also.
At Kalapathar, you can also click perfect pictures of the Himalayas. The place exhibits a 360-degrees panorama of the Everest massifs. Imagine! You are standing before the world’s tallest mountain. How exciting will it be?
The helicopter also stops at the Everest View Hotel. The Everest view hotel is a hotel situated at the highest altitude in the world. This highest placed hotel is a great place to view the marvelous panorama of Everest, Lhotse, Pumori, Ama Dablam, and many others in the range.
At the hotel, you might meet the locals, other trekkers, climbers, guides, and porters as well. Here, you can interact with them. You can interact with the locals to know about their way of life, their traditions, and their culture.
Highlights of Helicopter Tour to Everest Base Camp
- The aerial views of beautiful valleys, hills, forests, rivers, Himalayan peaks, and many more.
- Witnessing the unique Sherpas, their Buddhist culture and customs.
- Viewing the mesmerizing views of icefalls and glaciers.
- Seeing Mt. Everest from so close in a short span of time.
- The Everest base camp and Kalapathar.
- Taking photographs at Kalapathar with gigantic Everest massif in the background.
- Breakfast at the Everest view hotel.
Everest Heli Flight Tour Notes
The duration of the tour completely depends on the weather condition in the Everest region. There are some cases when we might have to stop at certain points due to factors like extreme wind, clouds, or bad weather. To ensure your safety, we will not fly until the weather becomes steady and good to fly. Also, the pilot will decide whether or not stops and landing at villages are doable. There are helipads at certain places at the villages in Everest region where the helicopter can stop during case of emergencies.
Trust us, we will try to make your trip a remarkable one. We will try our best to cover the important highlight spots. We will also provide you extra time to interact with the locals. We will provide you with a full 4 to 5 hours of time to enjoy.
Everest Helicopter Flight Safety Notes
During your helicopter tour, you must follow our safety notes. These notes help to ensure your safety during the flight. Here are some of the safety notes for Everest base camp heli tour:
- Always remember to fasten your seat-belt during flight
- Do not leave your assigned seats while boarding. During some cases, the pilot needs to re-position the helicopter even after touching the helipad.
- While in the air, do not throw any objects from the helicopter.
- Do not smoke inside the helicopter. If you have to smoke, ask your captain. Smoke after they indicate you that it is safer to smoke.
- Sit in your own seat. Do not stand or change your allocated seat during the flight.
Our Helicopter Models for EBC Heli Tour
There are two helicopter models operated in Nepal for Helicopter tour to Everest base camp. They are:
a) Eurocopter AS350
The AS350b3e/ series of helicopters are the world-wide popular helicopter designs of helicopters. This is one of the versatile helicopter models for mountain flights.
- Safe Design
- Comfortable Seating Arrangements
- 5 seats excluding Pilot
- Can fly up to an altitude of 7000 meters
b) Russian MI Seventeen
The Russian MI Seventeen has a huge body. It has high weight capacity and huge space. It can carry up to 21 people or 309 tons of cargo. This helicopter can fly to high altitudes up to 5200 meters. This is a famous helicopter for Everest Base camp group Helicopter tour.
- Large space
- Excellent utility and reliability
- Usually chartered for bigger groups
Weather and Climate at Everest Base Camp: Best Season for Flight
The weather and climate at Everest are unpredictable. However, the weather tends to remain stable during Autumn (September, October, and November) and in Spring (March, April, and May). This makes the helicopter tour best from March to May and September to early December. Can take a flight throughout the year. The helicopter tour is available for any time of the year since the tour is operable in good weather conditions.
At the base camp, mornings will be quite colder than days and the days will be bright with radiant sunlight. Also, due to the drop in oxygen level and air pressure at high elevation, the UV rays will also be strong during daytime. Thus, you should bring UV protection sunglasses and sunscreen creams and lotions for your face and body.
During Autumn and Spring, the weather at the base camp remains calm with astounding Himalayan vistas. The time between mid-September to December will have the clearest weather. In this time, days are shorter yet bright and clear. In a clear day, the helicopter tour is operable till the evening (up to 5 pm sometimes).
The time between June to August is the monsoon period. In this time of the year, the Everest region and the base camp may be wet with heavy moisture. However, the region will look much greener with dense hills, forests, and green pastures.
In monsoon, it rains during the evening. The downpour continues throughout the night till early morning. After rainfall, the weather clears up providing mesmerizing panoramas of the majestic Himalayas. We operate our helicopter tour when the weather is clear and it is safe to fly. We have contacts with people in the Everest region who will keep us updated about the prevailing weather conditions in the region.
Winter (December, January, and February) are the coldest months. During these months, there are chances of high precipitation at the base camp. The snowfalls and wind chills will result in very cold and harsh weather. Besides the cold and unsteady weather, the heli tour to Everest is possible in winter as well. Days will be clear with the fairer sky and mild sunrays which will make a beautiful time for the helicopter tour to Everest base camp.
Clothing for Everest Base Camp Helicopter Tour
What you should wear for your Everest base camp helicopter tour depends on what time you are going. If you are going in winter, you will need much warmer gears to cover your head and body. If you are going in monsoon, you will require waterproof clothing. Here is a list of clothing that will be essential during your Everest base camp helicopter tour:
- Down Jacket and trousers (windproof and waterproof)
- Sun Hats or Caps
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Sunscreen cream with high SPF
- Water Bottle
- Essential Camera Gears including batteries and memory card
- Sneakers Shoes
- Warm Socks
Outline Itinerary of Everest Base Camp Helicopter Tour
- Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla through Nagarkot hill and Alpine forests at Jiri
- Landing at Lukla for fueling
- Fly from Lukla to Everest Base Camp with landing at Kala Pathar
- Kala Pathar to Everest View Hotel for a scenic morning breakfast/lunch
- Flying from Syangboche airport to Lukla through Namche Bazaar followed by a short stop at Lukla for refueling and then fly back to Kathmandu
How we Spend Time in Everest Helicopter Tour
- Kathmandu to Lukla: 45 minutes
- Fueling time in Lukla: 15 to 20 minutes
- Flying from Lukla to Everest base camp (Kala Patthar): 30 minutes
- Landing duration at Kalapather: 5 to 10 minutes
- Flying from Kalapatther to Everest View Hotel: 15 minutes
- Breakfast time at Everest View: 1 hour
- Everest View Hotel to Lukla: 15 minutes flight
- Landing and fueling in Lukla: 10 to 15 minutes
- Flying from Lukla To Kathmandu: 45 minutes
Everest Base Camp Helicopter Tour Route
This 3 to 4 hours helicopter round trip begins in Kathmandu. From Tribhuvan international airport in Kathmandu, the helicopter flies to Bhaktapur. It flies towards Nagarkot and continuing towards the north it flies towards the Khumbu region. The flight lands at Lukla, fly over Namche Bazaar. Flying over the Everest view hotel and the beautiful Tengboche village, the flight continues towards Everest base camp.
From there, Helicopter flies over the Everest base camp and lands at Kalapather, 5643 meters. From Kalapathar, Helicopter flies back to Everest view hotel where it lands for a breakfast.
The helicopter tour route is Kathmandu- Lukla airport- Everest base camp / Kalapather - Lobuche- Tengboche - Everest view hotel breakfast stop- Namche - Lukla airport, and back to Kathmandu airport.